Endometrial Ablation

Gynecologists & Endometrial Ablation Specialists Located in Athens, GA
Endometrial Ablation

Endometrial Ablation services offered in Athens, GA


Endometrial ablation is a safe procedure that stops or lightens your menstrual periods and relieves the symptoms of many chronic conditions, including abnormal bleeding, fibroids, and endometriosis. At The Ashford Center in Athens, Georgia, Clinton Ashford, MD, FACOG, and Rebecca Ashford, MD, have devoted their practice to specializing in endometrial ablation. Having performed thousands of procedures, Dr. Ashford’s skill and expertise make him one of the top physicians in the field, with a reputation that brings in patients from across the South. Schedule your consultation online or by phone today.

Endometrial Ablation Q&A

What is endometrial ablation?

Endometrial ablation is a gynecological procedure that safely removes the tissue lining of the inside of your uterus. The lining, called the endometrium, responds to your monthly cycle of hormonal changes. It thickens with a rich supply of blood vessels so that it can nurture a fertilized egg. Lacking a fertilized egg, it breaks down and sheds in the form of your menstrual period.

When the endometrium is removed, your periods stop, or they’re significantly lighter. As specialists in endometrial ablation, the team at The Ashford Center has carefully documented their results, so they know that 85% of their patients who undergo endometrial ablation never have another period. The remaining 15% have dramatically diminished menstrual flow, resulting in lighter, shorter periods.

It’s important to know that endometrial ablation is only considered for women who don’t plan to have children. Once the uterine lining is removed, you’re not likely to get pregnant. 

When might I need endometrial ablation?

Most doctors primarily use this procedure to treat heavy menstrual bleeding. While Dr. Clint Ashford certainly uses endometrial ablation to treat abnormal bleeding, he’s also an expert in the field who recommends the procedure to successfully relieve symptoms associated with:

  • Premenstrual syndrome (PMS)
  • Painful periods
  • Endometriosis
  • Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS)
  • Menopause
  • Uterine fibroids
  • Fatigue
  • Menstrual bloating
  • Premenstrual headaches

In many cases, endometrial ablation is an effective alternative to getting a hysterectomy, but it depends on the reason for your hysterectomy. When a hysterectomy is recommended to treat fibroids, endometriosis, or abnormal uterine bleeding, you can often avoid surgery by choosing an endometrial ablation. However, a hysterectomy is the best option if you have endometrial cancer or endometrial hyperplasia that increases your risk of cancer.

How is endometrial ablation performed?

Endometrial ablation can be performed using six different methods, and Dr. Ashford is an expert in each one. During your consultation, he discusses which of the six is best for your underlying health condition.

The basic methods used to remove the endometrium include:

  • Electrocautery
  • Hydrothermal
  • Balloon therapy
  • Cryoablation
  • Radiofrequency ablation
  • Microwave ablation

No matter which technique is used, the procedure is the same. Endometrial ablation is a minimally invasive procedure that’s done in the office under light sedation. The small surgical tools are inserted through your cervix and into the uterus, where cold, heat, or radiofrequency are deployed to destroy the endometrium.

What should I expect following endometrial ablation?

After your procedure, you may experience mild cramping or nausea. It’s also normal to have watery or bloody discharge following your procedure. However, you can get back to your normal activities the next day.

It may take a few months for your uterus to heal. That’s when you’ll know if your periods have stopped or what they’ll be like going forward.

To learn how an endometrial ablation can relieve your symptoms, call The Ashford Center or book an appointment online today.